About Me

My photo
Marikina, Philippines
free-spirited,independent,strong. An artist. A writer. A traveler. An explorer. A gourmand. and A nurse by profession and passion.

Sunday 1 May 2011

Psych 101: Haircut therapy

DSM*-IV and DSM-IV-SR defined compulsion as:
(*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Mental Disorders)
(1) repetitive behaviors (e.g., hand washing, ordering, checking) or mental acts (e.g., praying, counting, repeating words silently) that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly 
(2) the behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive 

I have noticed that I have this "hobby" where in I cut my hair, specifically my hair bangs . It began when I was in my 4th year High School. I have realized this last night when I've watched a movie  (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) where in the protagonist suffers, as described the neuropsychologist, is experiencing compulsion, or repetitive behavior where in this behavior affects her daily life. I'll leave the story and just focus about compulsion. 

Compulsion is one of the major manifestation of an Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Well, I have read from my psych book that "the person feels compelled to continue despite an awareness that the thoughts (obsession) or behaviors (compulsion) may be excessive or inappropriate, and feels distress if they stop them." Obsessions or compulsions causes a marked distress, are time consuming  and it interferes with the person's normal daily routine, work, school and relationships. Well, of course a person to be diagnosed w/ any psychological disorder, should not be under the influence of drugs, alcohol or any substance that has a direct psychological effect.

So with these information, I wonder if i have anxiety disorder, specifically OCD. I am a very anxiety-prone person, and often get stressed whenever I am unprepared for something. With the criteria given , luckily I can say that I do not have the disorder (yet, i think).  I don't t think that these hobby/behavior of mine is excessive or unreasonable for it gives me relief after a long-time stress. 

We all have a way to reduce our anxiety, depression...in short problems. It's how we properly deal with it that matters the most. As long as we don't hurt others and ourselves, and it cannot affect our normal routines, it's fine. 

---dahil dyan, I have decided to write again (but not in the near future) other psych d/o I fear that I might have :)))


Here's my photos if FAILED Haircut therapy from the past years (2006, 2008 and 2009 respectively)




















(",)

No comments:

Post a Comment